Slovanská beseda
české a slovenské fórum slovanských rodnověrců
FAQFAQ | HledatHledat | Seznam uživatelůSeznam uživatelů | Uživatelské skupinyUživatelské skupiny | RegistraceRegistrace | ProfilProfil | Soukromé zprávySoukromé zprávy | PřihlášeníPřihlášení

Jessica Mendoza has heard the ribbing.

Přidat nové téma   Zaslat odpověď    Obsah fóra Slovanská beseda -> Slovanská kultura
Zobrazit předchozí téma :: Zobrazit následující téma  
Autor Zpráva
zhangzk

PříspěvekZaslal: 18.05.2019 03:34    Předmět: Jessica Mendoza has heard the ribbing. Citovat

An ESPN “Sunday Night Baseball” analyst since 2015 Pedro Martinez Jersey , she added a part-time role last month as a New York Mets baseball operations adviser.“OK, you work for the Mets, we can’t talk to you anymore,” she recalled hearing from teams during her spring training rounds, quickly adding “in a joking way.”She’s not worried that wearing two hats will lead to less inside info for her two ears. In an era when players and clubs treat the tiniest tidbit as a state secret, Mendoza already felt teams were hesitant to provide her intelligence in her pundit role because they knew “information they would give me as a member from ESPN was about to go on air.” She doesn’t expect that to change with the new job title.Mendoza spoke Thursday during a conference call with booth-mate Alex Rodriguez to promote the 30th anniversary of ESPN’s Sunday night broadcasts, which also include play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian.Mark Gross, ESPN senior vice president of production and remote events, expressed confidence in Mendoza’s impartiality. She will continue to broadcast games involving the Mets.“We’re not looking to fool anybody. We’re not looking to trick the viewers into anything,” he said. “We’ll be upfront with viewers off the top of the game, letting people know, and we will let the viewers decide ultimately if this is something that they’re on board with.”Rodriguez has been a New York Yankees adviser since his retirement, among several players to work as broadcasters while retaining a part-time role with a team.“Alex’s commentary last year on a Yankee game was no different than if it was on any other game,” Gross said.A member of the U.S. Olympic softball team in 2004 and 2008, Mendoza said new Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen first spoke with her about a position last August or September, when he still was co-head of the CAA Baseball agency and was preparing to interview with New York.“I’m actually putting you in my presentation and I just wanted to get your OK with that Max Kepler Jersey , your thoughts,” she remembered him saying. “So we kind of started talking about it then, and from there, obviously, he got the job.”Van Wagenen asked her at first whether she would move to New York to work for the Mets full-time, an entreaty Mendoza took as “a little joking.” The 38-year-old wanted to remain in California, where her kids go to school.She views ESPN as her “full-bore priority.” Mendoza has spent one day working for the Mets since she was hired March 5.Mendoza says she isn’t worried that Mets owner Fred Wilpon or chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, the owner’s son, would be upset if she is critical. Mendoza promises to be just as reproving directly with team management.“Part of my job is to kind of look, evaluate and knowing that, be honest. I’m an analyst first,” she said. “I would hope that that’s why they hired me, because of my honesty and criticism and not just to say all the right things.” BALTIMORE (AP) — New Orioles general manager Mike Elias spoke excitedly Monday about rebuilding the worst team in the majors by drafting wisely, stocking the farm system and delving deep into the International market.After finishing 47-115 this year, the Orioles essentially will start from scratch under the 35-year-old Elias and a yet-to-be named replacement for manager Buck Showalter, who was fired after 8½ seasons.Sitting between John Angelos and Lou Angelos — Baltimore’s top officials and sons of owner Peter Angelos — Elias warned at his introductory news conference there are no shortcuts to the reboot. But the former Houston Astros assistant GM added Zach Duke Jersey , “We’re going to do this as quickly as we can.”Elias wore a gray suit and an orange tie. His fashion choice was entirely appropriate because orange is the prominent color of both the Orioles and Astros, and his success in Houston is why he got the job.“There is exciting potential here,” Lou Angelos said. “Mike’s deep background in scouting really made quite a difference in the discussions that we had. His success with the Astros, hearing about it in detail, he’s been through this.”The Orioles shifted into rebuild mode in July under former Dan Duquette, the executive vice president of baseball operations who traded away many of the team’s stars — most notably Manny Machado, Zach Britton, Jonathan Schoop and Kevin Gausman — for 15 prospects and International bonus pool money in moves that cut payroll from $151 million to $136 million.Elias figures that saved him the trouble of dealing veterans himself.“Those were the right moves. The team had left a period of competitiveness,” Elias said. “It was clear it was time to bring in new, younger talent into the organization. We’re going to build off of that work.”Still, Baltimore’s farm system is ranked in the bottom third by Baseball America.Elias arrived in Houston in 2012, when the Astros were in the midst of three straight 100-loss seasons. They won 70 games in 2014, reached the playoffs in 2015 and won the World Series in 2017. Houston won 100 games this year for a second consecutive season before falling to Boston in the ALCS.“We’re going to do everything in our power to move things in the right direction,” Elias said. “We’re not going to be perfect with our decision making. Nobody is. But we’re going to add talent in every direction until the wins pile up.”Lou Angelos noted: “This is a time for fans to invest along with us in the process.”Getting a manager is one of the first steps in the plan.“The process and the background work have already begun,” Elias said. “I have a lot of contacts around the game and have already started tapping into those networks. But this is an important hire, just like this was an important hire for (the Orioles) http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey , and it’s not something you rush. We want to get the right person for this time.”Elias got the job by impressing the Angelos brothers with his enthusiasm, knowledge of analytics and his blueprint to get the Orioles closer toward earning their first World Series title since 1983.“We all came into the conversations with very specific plans and ideas and visions in mind for what this should look like and how we should go about these things,” Elias said. “We were on exactly the same page with what the approach should be.”It didn’t hurt that Elias was graduated from Yale, where he went 9-10 with a 5.15 ERA in 22 starts and 22 relief appearances as a pitcher from 2002-05..“Well, he went to Yale, and my brother went to Hopkins and I went to Duke, so we had Ivy League envy,” John Angelos said with a grin. “Really though, Mike made a fantastic impression, not just initially but all throughout the process. He was incredibly prepared, thoughtful.”Elias grew up in Northern Virginia and spent plenty of time at Camden Yards and visiting Baltimore. Now he feels right at home as part of the team.“I already have a lot of positive memories and positive impressions of this city,” he said. “I already know this city, I already love his city. I also got a chance to be at Camden Yards at a time when the stadium was filled to the brim and the city was supporting a championship caliber team. So I know there’s no place better in baseball when that is the case.”
Zobrazit informace o autorovi Odeslat soukromou zprávu
Zobrazit příspěvky z předchozích:   
Přidat nové téma   Zaslat odpověď    Obsah fóra Slovanská beseda -> Slovanská kultura Časy uváděny v GMT + 1 hodina
Strana 1 z 1

Přejdi na: